Daily News Archive
Lawn Care Crew Harmed By Mosquito
Moye called the emergency room at Metro Hospital, who told him they weren’t aware of what spray was being used. They recommended he call Poison Control if he had a problem. Later that night, the three men experienced more adverse effects from the spray including nausea, a headache, sore throat and sinus drainage. The crew leader spoke to a Health Department employee the next morning. She assured him that spray was not harmful in the low dose they were using. She said the toxicologist was out but he and the supervisor for the spray trucks would get back to him. To date neither has called him back.
The crewmembers are additionally worried since about
15-20 children were playing football on the street that night.
Rachel Sumner of the No Spray Coalition stated, “To date, the No Spray Coalition has spent a total of 14 months trying to get the Health Department to improve their notification policies. When people don’t know about when spraying is occurring in their neighborhoods it makes the risk greater that citizens will be taken by surprise by the trucks and suffer adverse effects. The crewmembers of that lawn care service, the children on that street and everyone in Nashville deserves to have proper notification when pesticides are being used in our city. “
TAKE ACTION: If you live in the Nashville area and are having problems with pesticide sprayings, contact the No Spray Coalition at 327-8515 or see www.nospraynashville.org. To take action on mosquito spraying in your area, see Beyond Pesticides Mosquito Management/West Nile Tools for Activists.