Join Beyond Pesticides's Campaign to Keep the Food Quality Protection Act Intact
Tell Congress to protect kids from harmful pesticides

Recognizing that pesticides are more likely to harm infants and children than adults, in 1996 Congress adopted the Food Quality Protection Act, which requires the Environmental Protection Agency to provide extra safety protections to account for children's greater exposure and susceptibility to these harmful substances. The EPA, however, has yet to implement these safeguards.

In the meantime, as a result of pressure from the chemical, food and agricultural industries, legislation has been introduced in Congress that would effectively gut the Food Quality Protection Act. Known as the Regulatory Fairness and Openness Act, in truth this bill would delay or eliminate crucial health protections for children by prohibiting the EPA from using the extra safety provisions required by the FQPA. This bill would leave children unprotected from these risky chemicals and would remove incentives for manufacturers to determine the effects of their chemicals on children's vulnerable systems.

What to do:

Contact your senators and representative and tell them to oppose the Regulatory Fairness and Openness Act (S. 1464 in the Senate and H.R. 1592 in the House). Tell them that they have a responsibility to protect citizens, especially children, from the harmful effects of pesticides, and let them know the provisions of the 1996 Food Quality Protection Act should be enforced, not repealed. Call them at the number below, or use the sample letter, which you can edit, or write your own. click here for sample letter

How do I contact my Senators and Representatives?

You can call the Capitol Swithchboard
You can write to your Congress person
To a Senator
The Honorable (full name)
United States Senate
Washington, DC 20510
To a Representative
The Honorable (full name)
United States House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20515

Not sure of the names of your Senators and Representatives?
You can find the names of your Senators and Representatives on the web. Click here to visit the Senate website, with Senators organized by state. Click here to visit the House website, you will be asked to enter your address and zipcode to find your Representative.