Gateway on Pesticide Hazards and Safe Pest Management
Back to the Gateway
Updated April 2020
Health and Environmental Effects
- Cancer: Yes (, , )
- Endocrine Disruption: Yes ()
- Reproductive Effects: Yes (, )
- Neurotoxicity: Yes ()
- Kidney/Liver Damage: Yes ()
- Sensitizer/ Irritant: Yes ()
- Birth/Developmental: Yes ()
- Detected in Groundwater: Yes ()
- Potential Leacher: Not documented
- Toxic to Birds: Yes ()
- Toxic to Fish/Aquatic Organisms: Yes ()
- Toxic to Bees: Yes (, )
Residential Uses as Found in the ManageSafe™ Database
- Regulatory Status:
- Supporting information:
- Exposure to Glyphosate-Based Herbicides and Risk for Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma: A Meta-Analysis and Supporting Evidence. Zhang, L., Rana, I., Taioli, E., Shaffer, R.M. and Sheppard, L., 2019. Mutation Research/Reviews in Mutation Research.
- Multiomics reveal non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in rats following chronic exposure to an ultra-low dose of Roundup herbicide. Mesnage, R, Renney, G, Seralini, GE, et al. 2017. Scientific Reports 7, Article number: 39328
- Glyphosate pathways to modern diseases V: Amino acid analogue of glycine in diverse proteins. Samsel, A, Seneff, S. 2016. J Biological Physics and Chemistry.16:9-46
- IARC Classification of Glyphosate as a "probable" carcinogen (2015).
Read the Daily News Blog
- Transcriptome profile analysis reflects rat liver and kidney damage following chronic ultra-low dose Roundup exposure. Mesnage, R, Arno, M, Contanzo, M et al., 2015. Environmental Health 14:70.
- Glyphosate Formulations Induce Apoptosis and Necrosis in Human Umbilical, Embryonic, and Placental Cells. Benachour, et al. 2009. Chem. Res. Toxicol. 22 (1), pp 97–105.
- Do Pesticides Affect Learning Behavior? The neuro-endocrine-immune connection. Porter, Warren. 2004. Pesticides and You (Beyond Pesticides)
- A Case–Control Study of Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma and Exposure to Pesticides Journal of the American Cancer Society, 1999.
- Glyphosate formulations induce apoptosis and necrosis in human umbilical, embryonic, and placental cells. Benachour N, Séralini GE. Chemical Research in Toxicology. 2009 Jan;22(1):97-105
- Top 15 Farmworker Poison