(Beyond Pesticides, October 1, 2015) Now is your chance to show off both your green thumbs and your photography skills: if you use a sign to designate your yard, park, garden or other space as pesticide-free, we want to see it! We would love to see how you are using your signs, whether it is our honey bee, ladybug, or your own creative one. If you don’t already have a sign, we encourage you to put one up and use its presence to spark a conversation in your community about the use of pesticides. One yard at a time, we can transition towards a safer future without the hazards associated with unnecessary pesticide use.
Your Work in the Spotlight!
Send your best photo of your Pesticide-Free Zone to [email protected]!
We will choose four grand prize photographs (Best overall, best sign featuring a child, best sign featuring wildlife, and best sign on an environmentally sensitive area), and 8 runners up to be featured in our 2016 Calendar! Staff picks and other select photos will also be highlighted on Beyond Pesticidesâ€™ Facebook and Twitter pages throughout the month of October.
Each photo must include a Pesticide-Free Zone sign (it can be either ladybug or honey bee, or be creative and use your own!). We will choose a Grand Prize winner in four different categories:
1) Â Â Â Best overall;
2) Â Â Â Best featuring children playing in a yard or park;
3) Â Â Â Best featuring wildlife in the photo; and,
4) Â Â Â Best featuring an environmentally sensitive area.
Photos are due to Beyond Pesticides by midnight Sunday, November 1, 2015.
PRIZES for the Winning Entries:
Grand Prize â€”Four grand prize photographs in four different categories will be chosen to be featured prominently in our 2016 calendar. In addition, they will receive a Beyond Pesticides 100% Organic Tote Bag and Honey Bee Pesticide Free Zone Sign!
Runners Up â€”Eight grand prize winners will be chosen to be featured in the 2016 Calendar, and will receive the calendar in January 2016.
Select Entries â€”Will be featured on Beyond Pesticides Facebook page.
The Nitty Gritty:
- To be entered into the contest, a high-res version of the photo must be emailed to [email protected].
- Include your name, address, and telephone number. Your submission of the photo is your guarantee that you are the author of the photo.
- Please provide a caption with your photo that describes the location where the photo was taken. Keep the caption below 15 words.
- By submitting your photo you agree to allow Beyond Pesticides to use your photo for educational and promotional materials without any fee or other form of compensation.
- The highest quality photo possible should be submitted. Unfortunately, we may not be able to print photos with resolutions smaller than 300 ppi.
We’re so excited to see your candid and creative shots of your Pesticide-Free Zone signs!
Email your photo to [email protected].
If you do not already own a sign, both honey bee and ladybug signs are available to order online or by calling Beyond Pesticides at 202-543-5450. We also encourage folks to officially declare their Pesticide-Free Zone by signing the Pesticide-Free Zone pledge. For more information on how to create your own Pesticide-Free Zone and to manage your space organically, see our lawns and landscapes page.
All unattributed positions and opinions in this piece are those of Beyond Pesticides.